Dynamics NAV is one of Microsoft’s most prolific software packages with over 110,000 installations worldwide with Microsoft investing over 1 billion dollars annually in research and product development on the platform. Targeted as an on-premises application, designed for small to medium-sized businesses, Dynamics supports several deployment options ranging from private to public cloud, all designed to work seamlessly with other Microsoft applications like Dynamics 365 for Sales, Office 365 and Power BI.
With the digital transformation age, Microsoft have transformed Dynamics NAV into Business Central with the ultimate purpose to achieve greater productivity through seamless integration through the entire Microsoft platform and applications. Under the new Business Central platform, Microsoft allows companies to determine through their own digital transformations, retaining and growing a customer base now ready for the security and availability of cloud applications.
New Platform, Better Processes through Availability of Applications
Improving upon Dynamics NAV, Business Central offers:
- Tighter integration with other Microsoft apps, without traditional silos that hinder efficiency
- A complete view of business using real-time data and business analytics to generate actionable insights through embedded Power BI
- Easy upgrades with a bi-annual release cadence
- Creation and automation of workflows, with Microsoft Flow, to improve efficiency
- Seamless data sharing with the Microsoft CRM platform, Dynamics 365 for Sales
How Does Business Central differ from Dynamics NAV?
The new version has several key features including:
- Licensing Options: You can license Business Central as a monthly subscription or perpetual, it’s up to you whether you want the operation expense or capital.
- Hosting Options: Business Central is available as both a cloud-based SaaS solution or perpetual/hosted solution, while Dynamics NAV offers the option to use the solution on a private data center or on your own server but not pure cloud.
- Easy Upgrades: With Business Central, your environment will see automatic upgrades performed in the back ground on a bi-annual release cadence.
- Any third-party add-ons or customizations made to your environment are now designed so they won’t interfere with this process. Compare this to upgrades for Dynamics NAV which can take months to complete depending up on the complexity of the environment.
See the summary of the differences between Business Central and Dynamics NAV in the upcoming post.